Sandstone villa in Falkirk – stone replacement and restoration
As well as commercial projects we get involved in a wide variety of private client work such as this traditional red sandstone restoration. The project included:
- Replacing natural stone for three 3 bay window mullions.
- The stone was hand carved in our workshop then transported to site.
- We cut out and replaced 16 window rye bats and surface finished them to match the existing stone.
- Carefully cutting out and removing cement mortar from the whole front elevation and replacing with lime mortar.
- Cutting out and replacing one section of moulded string course, this involved taking templates of the existing mould profile and carving a new piece of stone to match the existing.
- A small section of stone from the front elevation was sent to the BGS (British Geological Society) for analysis to ascertain the best type of stone available in terms of colour, durability and porosity ensuring harder stones were not used to replace softer stone, as this would accelerate the decaying process of the surrounding existing stone.
“Arch. Cons. did some major replacement to the stone work at the front of our house. The quality of the workmanship was very very high and the stonemason who did the work was exceptional in his attention to detail and in ensuring a high quality finish. Would not hesitate to recommend and you can’t say more than that.” Mr & Mrs Smith (Trusted Trader Review, Rating 5/5).